The National Biodiversity Data Centre is pleased to announce an exciting new opportunity for a highly motivated person to contribute to the work of the Centre in 2013. The post provides a suitable candidate with an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in working in a leading biodiversity Data Centre, learning about all aspects of biological recording, data management and biodiversity training, while contributing in a real way to increasing our knowledge base on Ireland’s biodiversity. Candidates must be registered with the JobBridge National Internship Scheme http://www.jobbridge.ie/.
Data Centre Internship
The JobBridge Internship will be structured to enable the successful candidate gain experience of different aspects of work of the Data Centre. Working with the Centre’s ecologists, the Intern will have the opportunity of contributing to the following work programmes of the Centre:
- Data management to assist development of the National Plant Database and other biodiversity datasets,
- Managing website content for the Irish Freshwater Life Initiative,
- Sourcing and compiling information for development of Invasive Species identification guides,
- Liaising with partners on Invasive Species Recording initiatives,
- Compiling profiles for Ireland’s protected and threatened species.
The position is offered as part of the National Internship Scheme, JobBridge. The successful candidate will be provided with, specifically:
- a deep insight into all aspects of the management of biodiversity data,
- experience of project management in a dynamic work environment,
- high quality training in specific biological recording software programmes (Turboveg and Recorder 6) and WordPress website content management system,
- training in monitoring programmes run by the Centre,
- opportunity to attend the extensive programme of training workshops for 2013,
- participation in the many field outings and other events organised by the Data Centre.
The position is suited to candidates with training in the natural sciences and knowledge of biodiversity data. The internship would be for 9 months duration and based at the National Biodiversity Data Centre in Waterford. Candidates should have an interest in biodiversity, good attention to detail, good computer skills, and be able to work as part of a team. The internship will work closely with the Centre’s ecologists to provide guidance and support in the delivery of the work programme.
To apply, please send a covering letter outlining why you are interested in applying for the internship, together with a Curriculum Vitae to National Biodiversity Data Centre, Carriganore, WIT West Campus, Waterford or email email@example.com. Please mark your applications Biodiversity Internship 2013. The closing date for applications is Friday 15th March 2013.
If you wish to obtain more details about the internships contact Dr. Liam Lysaght, Director, National Biodiversity Data Centre. Telephone: 051 306240