- Fossitt, J.A. (2000) A Guide to Habitats in Ireland. The Heritage Council, Kilkenny.
- Habitats Directive Annex I habitats (1992; subsequent modifications). See European Commission (2007)Interpretation manual of European Union habitats EUR 27, European Commission, DG Environment.
Number of habitats:
- 117 habitats at level 3 (Fossitt, 2000)
- 59 Annex I habitats in Ireland, 16 of which are or can be priority habitats.
Primary sources of habitat data:
National conservation assessment:
- Assessment of Annex I habitats in Ireland: The Status of EU Protected Habitats and Species in Ireland (2013)- Habitat Assessments Volume 2. Version 1.0. National Parks and Wildlife Service. Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Dublin. Ireland.
- Assessment of Annex I habitats in Ireland: The status of EU protected habitats and species in Ireland (2008) National Parks and Wildlife Service, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.
- Other habitats have not been assessed at the national level.
Monitoring or repeat surveys in place:
- Annex I habitats are monitored by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (see Table 1 of primary data sources for non-marine habitats).