Checklist developed by the National Botanic Gardens and published on its website.
Number of vascular plant species:
- Natives: 980
- Natives (apomictic species): 273
- Alien (archeophyte): 111
- Alien (neophyte): 964
Primary sources of distribution data:
- Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland: hectad and tetrad* databases
- Heritage Council of Ireland: Hedgerow Surveys of Ireland*
- Dr. David Thomas Holyoak: Irish vascular plant data 1999-2009*
- Paul R. Green: Irish vascular plant data 2011*
- National Biodiversity Data Centre: Online Atlas of vascular plants 2012-2020*
- Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland: The Flora of County Clare*
- Paul R. Green: The Flora of County Waterford*
- Paul R. Green: The Flora of County Wexford*
- National Botanic Gardens: herbarium & research databases
- National Biodiversity Data Centre: Species extracted from the National Vegetation Database*
- National Biodiversity Data Centre: Irish Crop Wild Relative Database*
- National Biodiversity Data Centre: Discrete vascular plant surveys*
- National Parks and Wildlife Service: rare and threatened plant database
- Environmental Protection Agency: Q value database & funded research
- Tree Council of Ireland: Heritage Trees of Ireland*
- Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland: Flora of County Clare*
Data is currently being centrally collated by the National Biodiversity Data Centre. *Databases currently accessible through Biodiversity Maps.
National conservation assessment:
- Article 17 reporting – 3 species listed in EU Habitats Directive: NPWS, 2013.The Status of EU Protected Habitats and Species in Ireland. Volume 3, Version 1.0. Unpublished Report, National Parks and Wildlife Serivce. Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Dublin. Ireland.
- Article 17 reporting – 3 species listed in EU Habitats Directive: NPWS, 2008. The status of EU Protected Habitats and Species in Ireland. NPWS, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Dublin.
- T.G.F. Curtis and H.N. McGough, 1988. The Irish Red Data Book: 1. Vascular Plants. Wildlife Service Ireland, The Stationery Office, Dublin.
Monitoring or repeat surveys in place:
- Rare plant surveys (National Parks and Wildlife Service, 1990s, 2000s)
- BSBI Local Change Project: 1987-1988
264 systematically selected tetrads were surveyed in Ireland in 1987-88. This survey has not been repeated since. Rich, T.C.G., Beesley, S. & Goodwillie, R. 2001. Changes in the vascular plant flora of Ireland between pre-1960 and 1987-1988: the BSBI Monitoring Scheme. Irish Naturalists’ Journal 26: 333-350
- Macrophytes are monitored by the EPA through the Water Framework Monitoring Programme
- Intertidal seagrasses are monitored by the EPA through the marine Water Framework Directive (WFD) monitoring programme.