No complete Irish checklist.
- Legon, N.W., Henrici, A., Roberts, P.J., Spooner, B.M. & Watling, R., 2005. Checklist of the British and Irish Basidiomycota. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Henderson, D.M., 2000. A Checklist of the Rust Fungi of the British Isles. British Mycological Society, Cambridge, England, UK.
- Fox, H., 2001. Census catalogue of the lichenicolous fungi of Ireland (~150 species). National Botanic Gardens, Dublin.
Number of fungi species:
Approximately 5,500 known species (estimated at 9,000)
Primary sources of distribution data:
There is no national fungal database, although there are many sources of distribution data:
- The Fungal Records Database of Britain and Ireland (FRDBI)* maintained by the British Mycological Society, contains Irish records made by UK and Irish recorders.
- The Northern Ireland Fungus Group
- National Herbarium, National Botanic Gardens, Dublin.
- Muskett & Malone (1978-1985) Catalogue of Irish fungi I-VI, Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy.
- Outside the FRDBI, there are individuals with significant private databases (more than 2000 records): M Cullen & H Fox (3,500+ records), D. Mitchel (3,000+ records), R. McHugh (2,000+ records).
A bibliography of fungal work in Ireland was published in 2008: Mangan, A., 2008. A bibliography of mycology and plant pathology in Ireland, 1976 to 2000. Glasra 4: 119 – 188.
*Databases held by the National Biodiversity Data Centre and made accessible through Biodiversity Maps.
National conservation assessment:
Monitoring or repeat surveys in place:
- Edible and biodiversity plot studies (Maria Cullen 2007-2009, University of Limerick).
- Waxcap surveys in counties W. Dongeal, W. Mayo, W. Cork & Clare (David Mitchell 2006-2009).